Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chinese Five Spice Baked Apple Sauce

Photo By Mozart's Nose
I love baking apples - I don't have to "watch the pot" and it concentrates the flavors.  This apple sauce is great on pork, as a side, or as dessert.

This is enough for two good sized servings. Our family is still small!

2 apples cored - one good for sauce, one good for baking
This way its a good mash, but still a little chunky with bites of apple.


1 T water or apple juice

Bake at 350 degrees for approx 30 min., longer if you like more mush.

Then out of the oven (or toaster oven, in my case) -
add 1-2 T salted butter (I lean towards two, but I always lean towards a bit more butta), maple syrup to taste and Chinese Five Spice, approx 1/4 tsp or to taste. Depending on the apple, you'll want more or less maple syrup, but TASTE as you go, because you can't go back!

Salt if needed.

If using this on pork or other savory dish, add a bit of dijon mustard!

No comments:

Post a Comment