Thursday, September 16, 2010

"One inconvenient location since 1851" ~ Story, Indiana



Photo by Mozarts Nose

The Story Inn and Restaurant is not close to much more than the Horseman's Camp at the Brown County State Park. And this must be one of their most reliable markets. Believe it or not, google does have "street view" of this tiny town. And most of what makes up the town are buildings dedicated to the business of the Story Inn.

I didn't take pictures of the food, as I don't normally dabble in the world of "food critic".  I want to enjoy my meals and expound on them later with fellow food lovers like you. I am just an eater, not someone who deserves special attention. Nor do I like to be a rude person to eat with, distracted by her own intentions.

I did learn that the restaurant at the Story Inn has recently acquired those two chefs who fed us so well.  Jenny and Erick Virt's culinary travels has been far reaching, they had just moved from Woodstock, Vermont, but had also spent time in Chicago and other continental lands. This is a young husband and wife team who have shown great potential in the arts of tasty balance and piquant presentation.  Subtly creative contrasts with crab (tricky) and masterfully heated meats (also tricky).  

As a dining companions, we all went a little ga-ga. Here's what we got ~

Pan Seared Jumbo Lump Crab Cake with Citrus Salad and Tarragon-Hazelnut Aioli


This also had small julienne of what I'm pretty sure is jicama, but would also be fabulous with celeriac for a winter veg version. This generous appetizer made my palate extremely happy.


Grilled Peach and Herbed Goat Cheese Salad with Spiced Candied Pecans, Good Life Farms Mixed Greens and White Balsamic Vinaigrette


I appreciate that they used a herbed goat cheese, not of their own doing (That's just smart, so long as everything is quality.) I was surprised at how complicated this salad was - with each bite.

Certified Black Angus Beef Filet and Local Heirloom Tomato Slices with Fried Buttermilk Leeks, Horseradish Vinaigrette and Chive Oil

I'll mention again how expertly the meats were cooked and being of good quality were full of robust flavor which easily stood in line next to the other features.  This was so refreshing and yet also enriching.  I was tickled to be reminded of the tastes of a very classy BLT. Was especially inspired by the fried buttermilk leeks, has anyone else encountered this preparation?  It was brilliant!

Grilled Bone-in Pork Chop with Green Tomato Jam, Jalapeno Corn Bread Pudding and Sweet Chili Oil

Photo by Mozart's Nose
This was the only dish that I would improve upon. Again the pork chop was juicy and perfectly tender. I took half of this home and reheated it in the toaster oven and the meat was still tender! Overall though this dish was full of sweet.  The jam was sweet and the bread pudding was sweet, and while I couldn't distinguish the sweet chili oil, I'm sure it was sweet as well. 

In my improvements would have been either to make a jalapeno spoon bread or to use a green tomato based salsa or relish.  Also a dollop of creme fraiche and lime somewhere. Pickled watermelon rind could also have a place, adding a nice texture...hm...overall though, this was very tasty, but I'm a serious stickler for balance and up until this point in the menu, each dish had been superb.

Southern Indiana is a beautiful bit of country (it is many, many things beyond corn and soybean fields) and this remote bit is even better for its culinary delights. Its not much to look at, but up close it has an attractive bric-a-brac quality that inspires nothing but comfort - like you are home for a long respite.

http://www.storyinn.com/restaurant


No comments:

Post a Comment